Friday, June 04, 2004

Flight over and first day

I've just woken on my second day in England and woke up feeling a bit better than yesterday... Be warned this may be very boring, however I don't know how much time I will have writing after today.

I got to the airport thinking I had enough time, but to both my mum and my surprise my flight had been boarding for a while. So after a quick goodbye, I made the big step and went through the gate.

The flight was long! I had previously thought I would be fine, as I'd watch all the in-house movies, boy was I wrong! I was checking my watch every half hour and didn't get any sleep the first leg (which was the plan).

Getting into Hong Kong made me realise for the first time that I had finally started the big trip. If you've ever been to the airport you'd know how huge it is. I certainly felt pretty lost and it was lucky that I met Rachel, a girl from Ballarat who was also going straight through to London. We got in at gate 71 and had to get to gate 2 and 3. We ended up having to catch a train and probably for a few k's through the maze, going the wrong way a few times!! However we got there in the end and I sat there waiting for the final leg to London.

A few people mentioned the second leg to London was the worst and I found out how right they were! I had only three hours sleep, a blood nose and a headache all the way through. Apart from that it was all ok. I got through the gates, with a few interrogating questions from immigration and got out waiting for my brother.

Now onto yesterday, first thing we did was get back to my cousin's place, there was nothing I wanted to do most but have a shower...so after the shower and a quick snack, we headed out to check out some famous landmarks.

So what did I see yesterday? St James Palace, Big Ben, London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square and Westminster Abbey.

When heading over from St James Palace to Buckingham Palace, we were lucky enough to catch the rehearsals for D-Day. The streets were blocked off and the soldiers with the funny headpieces were marching to Buckingham palace with traditional music behind them. It was an amazing sight and the photos I took, don't give the experience justice.

So after a long day of site-seeing, my brother and I got back to my cousin's Dean's place to go out for some drinks. Well I ended up not drinking, YES I behaved. I was certainly not in the mood anyway and due to lack of sleep, headed back home with Stephen (my brother) to crash around 11 at night. It was great to get out though and catch up with the my cousins - Dean and Chris.

What's on today's plan, you're asking? Well Stephen booked some tickets for Harry Potter. So we're heading out to Leicester Square to check out the new episode. No plans apart from that, I'm just going with the flow....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>