Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Hola from Spain! This is paris only though!

Hi all,
Just got 18 minutes at an internet cafe at our cabin-caravan park....
Where do I start hey? It´s unbelievable here and I´m having an amazing time!!

Ok, so from London I went to France catching a ferry on the cliffs of Dover. It´s really weird, I didn´t think they were they really spectactular...basically it´s cliffs that are made from limestone, I think maybe if the weather was not smoggy it may have looked better and my shots would have turned out nicer...

From the Cliffs of Dover, we´ve headed straight to Paris....Paris is amazing. I could definitely live there. It´s so full of history and culture - it´s amazing! So what did I do there, I guess you´re asking. I did the Palace of Versailles - beautiful with so many rooms. Louis 12th (I think) made it after the Louvre (which originally was a palace) was too small for him. There is gold in every room and statues & paintings also. How vain! The gardens are also wonderful but I didn´t have time to go outside and check these.

So what else in lovely Paris? Arche De Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and the Louvre. During all of this we were walking and only had 1.5 free days to do what we like. I really want to come back and see Musee DÓrsay and Rodin´s gallery. Arche De Triomphe was over fifty stairs in a curved staircase - I was definitely both breathless and dizzy by the time I got up there.

Eiffel Tower was unbelievable. There are two elevators to take you to the top. The first one is like a double decker and the second one is normal. Going to the higher level though is really freaky!! You don´t know how long it´s gonna take to go up, meanwhile the structure is getting narrower and narrower. The view from up there is unbelievable, much better than the rialto observation deck and seriously it should be. You can see the Arche De Triomphe. The amazing thing too is that the town is so well planned and structured and you don´t get that feeling if you are on walking level...

Notre Dame was beautiful and there just so happened to be a choir playing... Now don´t think of our dodgy choirs back in Oz. This is absolutely beautiful....the sound in this church is emphasized by the surroundings.

The next visit was to the Louvre but unfortunately I was extremely sore, that I only got to see the Mona Lisa and the Venus de Milo. It´s quite funny...tourists crowded around these art objects snapped then went off. They didn´t sit to actually analyze the pictures/ sculptures...the funniest thing about it is that the Mona Lisa is behind glass and the using the flash (which these tourists use) means the picture doesn´t come out...

Ok so what about the people? They are extremely friendly and I´ve been having a ball. Oh and I did say I wasn´t going to drink didn´t I??? Well, let´s just say I´ll give you an in depth story next time....(tomorrow maybe if I can get on)

I´ll give you a heads up though, tomorrow I see Gaudi´s cathedral and boy can I hardly wait to see that....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>