Saturday, June 26, 2004

Mykonos baby, yeah yeah!

The ferry over is around 3 hours or so and most of our group slept the entire time due to the Athen's welcome the night before.

Mykonos itself is quite a beautiful place. It's water again is quite bluey-green and it is quite hilly for a small island. The most unique thing here is their houses. They are made out of cement and shaped into a curved square type shape. The houses are painted white with the exception of the windows and doors which are a bright blue colour. These all resemble the colours of the Greek flag - reminds me a little of 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding'. Apparently you have to write away though for permission to use the blue colour.

So what did I do here? Well we were at a resort and I think the only photos i actually took here were 5 minutes before we left. Yes it was very beautiful, however I was so relaxed i couldn't be bothered with the whole photo thing.

Now I'm sure most people have been at a resort and I'm sure they are all very similar where the hotel organises fun things to do, but here every night includes a half price drinks night or happy hours - which go longer than an hour!

The first night we started off with a welcome drink over at one of the three bars on the resort after having a quick waterpolo game in the pool. It was nothing special - a champagne cocktail. However it got me in the mood and I went downstairs and tried the toblerones - greek style. What is Greek Style? Well Greeks do not measure alcohol...so you end up with a drink that is almost 100% filled with alcohol. Two of these later and we decided to head back to prepare for "cocktails night - 2 for 1." It was a night to remember...

In the morning, most of us got up to take full advantage of our free watersport activities which were snorkelling and sea kayaking. It was actually a little disappointing! The water was great, however there isn't much wildlife under water. In fact, there isn't any plants or algea. It was still great to snorkel as we found a secluded beach and sat for a while taking everything in.

Sea Kayaking - well boy was I great at that! I got as far out as I could sit in the water and I kept falling in. Due to the weather taking people out, I decided it was in my best interests to quit while I was ahead. :) Well, where I could actually stand and get back in, instead of being towed out to sea.

Night time - all of us had dinner, took full advantage of the $2 shots and then went out in Mykonos. I had something like 12 shots and I swear I was still sober!! So we headed into this cocktail bar, where we were all given 2 for 1 cocktails. They were all very nice and what was beautiful about this place was the view. A few of us made our way to the back of the bar where there was this quaint little room/balcony. It's full of couches and right outside the window was the sea. We were actually out on the sea and not on the sandy beach. It was actually quite romantic with the moon shining across the water. Everyone was amazed.

So back to the drinks, lots of people by this stage were well on their way. However, I really can't believe how well I was. Once happy hour ended the group decided to head off to some disco and a couple of us - including myself - headed off in another direction to experience the nightlife, without the young ones. The place we went was great but crowded and we lasted here till about 3 or so.

Next morning I was awoken, by my roomies, who didn't go out. It wasn't that bad however, as I got to head into town again and check out the shops. However, after having a bit of a look around, it was way too expensive and I needed to get out of there before I spent big.

I lounged around the rest of the day after a huge night and then went out again. I didn't have a big night, although I really can't remember the special for this night. However it was a karaoke night. It all got a bit boring and I hit the hay, to make it easier to pack the next day.

Next day we checked out early and catched a dvd as we our ferry was mid-afternoon.

The ferry was all good apart from Fraser my NZ friend getting sat on and abused by a big greek lady. She was a grumpy old fart that wanted the seat he was on. In fact, they all are grumpy on ferries, be warned!

So after Mykonos, we all headed back to Athens, our most dreaded place of all and really it doesn't get better the second time round!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>