Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Austria with White Water Rafting and Germany

The first stop this morning, was one of the saddest and gut wrenching things on the tour. We headed to Mauthausen. For those that don't know, it's a concentration camp where they worked people to death in a quarry carrying heavy stones up thousands of steps.

The thing about it is though, is that the place is one of the most beautiful places and the atrocity that has gone here, puts a chill down your spine.

The drive up here for me was was quite sickening, as I know a bit of history of the camps from reading some biographies and studying the art from this area. I definitely struggled with my emotions here.

We watched a film based on the camp and the atrocities that went on here and then headed into the quarry and tributes to the people who died here. It was not only Jews, but Italians, Mexicans, Asians, homosexuals and the mentally unstable.

I decided to go in, not as a tourist but as human being paying respect for the prisoners of war. Out of respect, I left my camera in the bus.

Things seen here were:
Where they lived, bathed, the graveyard, the gas chambers and prisons.

We quietly headed to Munich and headed to the Youth Hostel we were to stay at before heading out again to the BeerHalls.

We went to the Pschorr Keller Beerhall and all started with a stein of beer. A stein equals a litre for those not in the know. I sat up the front, which was the best view in the house as the entertainment started shortly after our arrival. A band playing traditional music started then out came the girls in the traditional dresses playing the xylophones and bells. There was also some dancing done. It was great!

The record on the night was 5 steins....let me know if anyone has topped that.

I had my one and I was still tipsy! So much so that I bought a lovely German hat and I reckon it was the best buy of my trip. I'll be sure to wear it back home for you all to see!! Everyone thinks it suits me! :)

We then headed back to the hostel and headed out downstairs to the nightclub type place. After getting hit on by one of the guys who had threatened me the night before, I decided it was definitely my bed time.

7th July->
Free time in Munich. We headed down to the church when the devil's foot lays and tested to ensure we weren't the devil incarnate. No I'm not!! Once done, I headed to find a Birkenstock shop!! I had to get some, which I eventually did! They are so much cheaper than back home...and I now have two pairs - bought another pair over here.

Now for the highlight of our tour! The wonderful, amazing Glockenspiel, recommended by our tour manager, Amanda and voted to be the number one attraction for Germany! What is the Glockenspiel? It's a clock that plays tunes at 11 every day and is mechanical.

It goes for 11 minutes to be precise and is out of tune! Oh by the way, I was being sarcastic above...it's absolutely boring and not worth the wait.

Once the glorious clock was finished, we headed onward to our Water Rafting. It had been raining the night before, and the water was faster than normal. Now, I have to say it's definitely the most scariest thing I've done in my life!!! I was screaming and cursing the whole time! I couldn't wait for it to end. Yes, there were moments that it was fun and I'm glad I did it. But I'm certainly glad it ended. Just ask to see the photos....the whole group had a laugh...even I did!
btw the water is freezing....yes, we jumped in to my dismay.

Accommodation was great here. We were right near a waterfall stream and we slept with the sounds of it through the night. Quite peaceful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>