Monday, July 26, 2004

Edinburgh

Hey all,
I promise to update this ASAP, but I've let the diary back at the hotel and thought I'd just put a brief entry up anyway.

So I'll let you know what I've been up to the last couple of days...

I started another Contiki tour as you probably know. I booked triple share accommodation and have come up trumps with a room to myself so far.

The people here are quiet nice, however they really aren't like my other group. It's a bit weird actually! They all seem to have their groups which leaves me by myself. I'm not too fussed though, I seem to be getting around not too badly.

So what have I done you ask? Well I've been to Windsor, at the start. I saw Windsor Castle from the outside - it was 12 pounds to get in and we only had two hours at Windsor. I headed down to Eton College and saw the outside again - it wasn't open yet. Here Prince William went to school.

Next up was Oxford. Oxford is one of the most famous Universities are in England. There are quite a few here. We also got to see some of the places Harry Potter was filmed, which is in these unis!

After this we headed for dinner, where seems more like a banquet for one! The meals are huge and are even larger for vegos....

Next day -> we headed to York. Here we had some time to check out the town, where I decided to leave our tour early and look around at the shops. I didn't buy anything though. The tour showed us York Minster and the Shambles. York Minster is apparently the largest church, however I'm over churches. I've seen too many throughout Europe and now couldn't care less.
The shambles was quite interesting. The houses are leaning over one direction and apparently you can here what people are talking about in the other houses.

So after looking at the shops, I headed into Betty's for some traditional tea and scones. The people here are in traditional gear and it's done up also quite traditional inside. I had something not so traditional though - coffee made from the Himalayans and a cheese scone. Quite yummy!

Tonight, after dinner we had a ghost tour around town, which one in particular was quite spooky. The story goes like this...A lady was walking down the alleyway where she noticed a man in a black cape leaning against the wall leaning a black cane with a silver headpiece on his knees. The man was staring at her quite sneakily and the lady began to feel quite scared.

Walking closer to him, the feeling was getting worse to the point she did not want to pass him. Getting closer, she was getting a really bad feeling and she turned back the other way. In the entrance was a man, dressed very similar with the cape over his face and him standing on his cane with his legs apart. He was blocking the entrance.

The lady ran back the other way not noticing the man against the wall.

28th July -> First stop was Hadrian's Wall. The wall was built by the Roman's in 120 AD. It was built to block the English or Scottish coming through and was built on a narrow path, making it almost impossible to get through. The area we visited seemed to be like a little town or city. The wall was behind and went for miles. It's all mostly ruins but is wonderful to see as it's in the countryside. The grass is oh so green here and sheep graze in the grass on the way up to the steep wall. Fantastic!

From here, we head over the Scottish border and arrive in our hotels, where we do have the option of heading into town, however I decline I take rest in my hotel room alone! :)

29th July -> Today we've headed into town and I've checked out the Edinburgh Castle. The view from here is quite spectactular and I'm sure on a more sunny day would get great photos. It's overcast here at the moment though.

After this, I've headed down the Royal Mile, checking out the markets, eating lunch at the World's End - a famous pub in Edinburgh, The People's Voice Museum and the Edinburgh Museum... All quite historical but I'd bore you if I wrote about it.

Then heading over to Holyrood Palace - where Queen Mary of the Scots was born - before heading here to write :)

Heading off to the Scottish Evening tonight...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>